Thursday, September 11, 2008

Evan Tanner Passes Away 9/8/08

“Believe in yourself. Believe in your own potential for greatness. Believe that you can change the world. It is something that is within each of us.”
Evan Tanner

Evan Tanner (February 11, 1971 – September 8, 2008) was an American professional mixed martial arts fighter. He was a former UFC Middleweight and USWF Heavyweight champion with a professional record of 32 wins and 8 losses. He was also the first American to win the Pancrase Neo-Blood tournament in Tokyo, Japan.

Tanner won his first championship when he defeated Heath Herring at USWF 7, and went on to successfully defend that title five times. Tanner then won the UFC Middleweight title at UFC 51, stopping David Terrell with strikes in the first round

Evan Tanner August 27, 2008
"I've been sitting around this apartment, bored to tears, waiting on the last of the gear I need for the desert adventure to come in the mail. I've really been looking forward to getting out there. I've been writing about it a little bit here. It seems some MMA websites have reported on the story, posting up that I might die out in the desert, or that it might be my greatest opponent yet, etc. Come on guys. It's really common down in southern California to go out to the off road recreation areas in the desert about an hour away from LA and San Diego. So my plan is to go out to the desert, do some camping, ride the motorcycle, and shoot some guns. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. A lot of people do it. This isn't a version of "Into the Wild". I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun.

I do plan on going back pretty far, so I did mention in one of my posts that I wanted to make sure to have good quality gear. Any failure of gear out in the desert could cause a problem."

Personally, I was a fan of Evan Tanner giving him the nickname the "Lone Wolf." The guy liked being alone and after he left Team Quest never settled with a team again. He obviously believed in the power of oneself and challenged himself while fighting his well publicized personal demons. He was never ashamed and just tried to be a better human being. I respected him and he will be missed. Rest In Peace, and may your journey continue.

No comments: