Sunday, May 17, 2009

MMA Melee: May 5th, 2009


Kurt Angle has found another way to pretend he is a MMA fighter by shooting a movie called "Warrior" that is sure to suck balls. It is an MMA movie with Nick Nolte starring as a retired mill worker and alcoholic who raised his sons to be wrestlers, but they switched to MMA and are favorites to win a $5 million tournament. Angle plays one of the fighters in the tournament in Atlantic City known as a Russian killer named Koba (perfect casting for the man who created an image as the All-American). I almost wish Kurt would get into MMA so somebody could snap his surgically stiffened neck.

World champion submission grappler Roger Gracie and Strikeforce are close to finalizing the terms of a multi-fight contract, the promotion's CEO Scott Coker confirmed to SI.com Tuesday. "Their lawyer is looking at a draft of what we're doing," Coker said, "but I think we're pretty much done." He declined to provide specifics of the pending deal. The 27 year old fighter is 2-0 in MMA and one of the top submission grapplers around today. In 2005 he captured the ADCC World Submission Wrestling Championships at 98 kilograms, as well as the tournament's prestigious open-weight division. In doing so, Gracie became the first competitor to win each of his eight bouts by submission.

Chuck Liddell isn't dead yet despite the insistent tone from Dana White who had already decided for him that he was retired. “I’m going to take some time off and figure out what I want to do, and see what else I think I can do.” said Liddell. The "Iceman" will make a definitive decision on whether or not to retire within the next year, but he is not ready to make it just yet. “I’m too emotional to make a rational decision, so I want wait and take my time. I’m not going to make that decision until I sit down and look at it after a little while. I need some time off anyway, and when everyone stops worrying about it, I’ll make my decision on my own.” Liddell said. Nice to know BLAF doesn't speak for everyone under the UFC banner.

In "I've Lost My Fucking Mind News," Lyoto Machida is believing his own hype these days saying he wants a shot at monster Brock Lesnar. "He's a huge guy, showed himself as someone who is very aggressive and strong, who knows if one day we can fight. I respect him as a fighter, he's very strong, but I'm a professional and I'd like to test myself." Riiiight, 1st up focus on Rashad Evans and the UFC Light Heavyweight title.

Randy Couture has served his wife of over two years, Kim Couture, with divorce papers. The news was a shock to those close to the couple and even more to Kim, who pulled out of her televised main event fight due to the devastating news. This marks Randy's third divorce. Nice to see "Captain America" keeping it real and looking for some new trophy meat. You know, Mandy Moore frequents UFC events often.............

MFC 21 saw Bobby Lashley earn his 3rd MMA win with a guillotine choke only 24 seconds into the bout! On the same card, former UFC veteran Trevor Prangley defeated Emanuel Newton to become the new Light Heavyweight Champion after 5 grueling rounds of fighting. John Alessio and Marvin Eastman also got much needed wins at the event.

Vladimir Matyushenko defeated Jason Lambert at Call To Arms in Canada. Lambert has fallen on hard times losing 5 of his last 6 bouts. "The Janitor" got his 21st win and deserves a contract with a good promotion that can put on shows at least semi-annually (ahem, Affliction get your shit together and put on a show already!).

Wanderlei Silva is beginning to worry me these days with jarring losses and feuding with Anderson Silva, a once close friend in the early days of Chute Boxe. It doesn't help that the "Spider" is helping Rich Franklin (Silva's next opponent) train. Not at a loss for friends, Wand has brought in Heath Herring, Paulo Filho (a once bitter enemy), Demian Maia, and his old Chute Boxe coach Rafael Cordeiro. “I have trained so much and Rich won’t last two rounds. I think it is good Anderson has been preparing him. I hope he is also on the corner. I want to dare him to bet $50,000. I put these amount and Anderson or his sponsors, Ed Soares or Joinha, bet another part. Who wins takes the money.” Oh this is getting silly quick.

Tito Ortiz' whore, I mean wife Jenna Jameson, gave birth to twins which doctors originally thought had water on the brain syndrome, but it turns out the kids are just Tito's and not 1 of the other 764 possible fathers. The delivery was pain free as the toddlers reportedly walked right out twirling canes.

Don't forget upcoming events including UFC 98 featuring Rashad Evans putting his Light Heavyweight title up against fellow undefeated Lyoto "Dragon" Machida as well as a grudge match between Matt Hughes and Matt Serra. Also, DREAM 9 will be Monday with Gesias "JZ" Calvancanti vs Tatsuya "Crusher" Kawajiri in what could be a "Fight Of The Year" candidate. Also on the card is the beginning of the "Super Hulk" Tournament and the semi and finals for the Featherweight Grand Prix. Early money has got to be on "Kid" Yamamoto. Bet.

No comments: