Tuesday, June 23, 2009

MMA Melee 6-23-09 The #1 MMA News Source!

Gegard Mousasi got a new opponent for Affliction III in Renato Sobral, now the man he was originally scheduled to face, Vitor Belfort, has a new matchup as well as he takes on fellow UFC veteran and highly-ranked middleweight Jorge Santiago in a 185-lb contest at the August 1st event. Then its off to the UFC for the "Phenom" as Dana White surprised the MMA world by singing the praises of Vitor at the TUF 9 finale and stating he wishes to sign Belfort to the UFC and possibly fight Anderson Silva for the title! Wow, its all about the money fights to Don King, er Dana and not who deserves the title shot.
As everyone knows by now, “Kimbo Slice” will be among the 16 heavyweight fighters to join the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which has started shooting in Las Vegas. Kimbo has stated, "It’s an opportunity for me to prove myself, being a mixed martial artist coming from the backyard, coming from being a street fighter and all. It’s time for me to step my game up. I’m coming here to kick ass and take names and to continue to feed myself and my family.”
It should be interesting, given some of the things I’ve said about him,” White told Yahoo Sports Monday. Slice addressed the criticism from the UFC boss.
“DW can say whatever the [expletive] he wants,” Slice said. “The greatest revenge, to my knowledge, is success. I don’t care about the shit talking.” Of course there are no hard feelings as Dana has Kimbo on commercials for the next TUF and he looks like the lone fighter. Anybody else hear the rumor that Roy Nelson may be on the show? Hmmmmm.
2008 Olympic Gold Medalist in Judo, Satoshi Ishii, has signed with World Victory Road to fight in their SENGOKU event. No debut date was announced but he is expected to debut within the year. This is easily the biggest signing of the year and a HUGE signing for WVR. When speaking about the reason he chose SENGOKU he said that in Japan, SENGOKU is the organization he respects the most. He also said that Josh Barnett will face the worlds strongest in Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction. If Josh wins he will become the strongest in the world and with a fighter like that existing in SENGOKU, it will have another attraction. Another reason is that his Judo seniors such as Yoshida, Takimoto, and Nakamura are SENGOKU fighters. The bidding war is now over and the UFC lost out even after flying the kid to America and buying him hookers.
Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou has apologized for his unprofessional after the bell attack on Jan Nortje at DREAM's Super-Hulk tournament. “There is no bad blood … Actually, [Nortje] is a really cool guy. We met at the bus on the way to the hotel. We were always nice to each other. It’s just one of those moments where – you know I lost two fights in a row, and I was in a state where I told myself, ‘There’s no way I can lose this fight. I got [Nortje] on the ground, just like I thought I would do, and I was pounding and I didn’t want to stop … But I should have stopped. There’s no bad blood. He’s been nice. We’ve run into each other, and every time he’s always been a gentlemen. I feel like a douche bag doing it. I’m really sorry for it.” Soko is a sad panda. Apology accepted but I have to think the extra curriculars may have something to do with Socko being the "African Assassin" and Jan being from Africa as he white oppressor.
Xavier Foupa-Pokam, who signed with the UFC earlier this year and went 0-2 in a one-month span, has been released by the organization. The growing UFC cut list includes fan favorite Jason MacDonald, the unnoticed David Bielkheden, underachiever Ryo Chonan, TUF 8 runner-up Vinny Magalhaes, and MMA good guy but past his prime David Loiseau. All these guys still have talent and could earn a way back especially the "Athlete."
Chicago police officer and one-time PRIDE competitor Mike Russow has inked a four-fight deal with the UFC , the fighter recently confirmed to Chicago's MMA. The 32-year-old heavyweight holds a professional MMA record of 11-1 and has won his last seven fights. Russow's one loss was at PRIDE 33 in February 2007 against Sergei Kharitonov. Russow made a better impression in front of the PRIDE execs at "Yarennoka" on New Year's Eve 2007 when he submitted Roman Zentsov. I guess the guy doesn't like Russians.
**The Arianny Celeste picture is there just because I think its hot for all the wrong reasons.

No comments: