Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Clearing Up The MMA Mess

There have been so many rumors running rampant these days that we need to clear a few things up lest people get the wrong idea.

First, the confirmed. Chuck Liddell will fight Keith Jardine at UFC 76 in November. Although Dana White came out and said Wanderlei Silva turned down the fight with Chuck, that is simply not true. Dana claimed Wand was washed up and worried after his 2 consecutive KO losses. In actuality, Dana is the spoiled brat, who when things don't go his way, gets upset, pouts, and talks shit. Silva is currently moving to America to live, train, and refocus his MMA career. The date of September was the only problem. Wand asked it to be in November and said,"I want to fight Chuck in November and make a huge show, and make it the biggest show ever...I have no doubt it's the most important fight of my life. I know Chuck is a great name in the U.S., we'll have a great fight. I think I must be in my best shape, so I want to take this time to train better and be in my best shape ever." Dana said no it must be September, and Wand said no. End the bullshit. To make matters worse, Dana moved Chuck's fight with Jardine to November just to claim that is always when he wanted the fight, which is just not the case. It is simply a UFC bury job on a guy who isn't signed to the company, and won't leap whenever Dana barks orders to fight his friend (yes Chuck and Dana are "good" friends so who's interests do you think the UFC is looking out for?). I almost think when Silva does decide to fight and sign somewhere, he should go where there aren't mad politics involved, and to a promoter who wants him to do well, not just come in, be defeated, and leave. White is getting out of control with his mouth and is becoming a Don King or worse, Vince McMahon.

On said UFC 76 card, the earlier reported fight between Jason Lambert and Shogun Rua has been changed as well. Jason will now fight Wilson Gouveia, while Shogun will take on the always loveable Forrest Griffin. Ryoto Machida was initially thought to be the man, but a "leaked" poster revealed Forrest as the next victim, er fight, for Shogun.

Spencer "The King" Fisher, fresh off his spectacular win over Sam Stout, is slated to face Din Thomas at UFC Fight Night September 11. Can you say #1 contenders fight? I'm telling you now, the winner of this Lightweight contest should get the winner of Sean Sherk vs BJ Penn (November).

Renato "Babalu" Sobral was arrested last week but it was not spousal abuse as reported. The two charges (battery & trespassing) came from an altercation with a bouncer who wouldn't let Babalu into the party for which the WEC promotion was throwing for him! Apparently, you need to have more ID than your name upon the shirt you are wearing (yes he was wearing his name on his shirt). When pigs, er police arrived, Sobral was arrested with the misdemeanors and the bouncer was later informed that he is a jackass.

Congratulations to Ross "Gladiator" Pointon who finally got a win this past weekend at Cage Rage 22 ending a 4 fight losing streak. Sure the guy's record is 5-9, but we love Ross here at MMAFO and are glad to see him get the much deserved win. Butterbean was TKO'd at the same even by Tengiz Tedoradze who is really starting to look good and come into his own as of late. Could we see Tedoradze vs Bob Sapp please? James Thompson was KO'd yet again in his homeland by Neil Grove who took the fight on 1 day's notice and it was his 1st MMA fight! Could someone please get a hold of Colossus and make him into the fighter he should be? I mean if Bas Rutten can be training Kimbo Slice, someone should try to mold Thompson into a smarter fighter that he has been. Noted ref Herb Dean lost a fight in which he was actually winning via an eye injury and promptly retired from fighting.

Time for Royce Gracie's reply to failing his steroid drug test after his rematch with Kazushi Sakuraba. "I did not appeal the decision because I have been in Spain for the last 1 1/2 (months) on vacation with my family, and for me to appeal, I would have to get a lawyer, and then get some experts to run tests and then get more experts to argue with their experts -- or I can just pay $2,500 fine, and sit out for one year," Gracie said via e-mail Monday. "Well, I fight once a year anyway and it's much cheaper to pay $2,500 in fine than $10,000 retainer to attorney's alone. As for my fans, those who believe me, believe me anyway, and those who don't, does not matter what I do, or what I say, they will not believe anyway." Does it satisfy you, me either.

Mike Swick had some trash talk for Chris Leben who has turned down a rematch with his long time rival. “What it comes down to is that Leben’s got a win over me, and he’s been blabbing about it since the show,” said Swick. “At UFC Fight Night 11, I would get to take that away from him. I don’t think he wants to gamble. It’s a cheap move. And he can’t give me the respect to let me avenge that loss? All that talk he talks, and this is how it goes? I think he lost that warrior spirit.“ Hmmm, with Chris not having a big mouth or anything, I'm guessing there will be no reply.

Finally, 38 year old (how is that possible?) Roy Jones Jr. (51-4) won a unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Anthony Hanshaw capturing the IBC Light Heavyweight title. The scorecards favored Jones 114-113, 117-110 and 118-109. It was the second straight victory for Jones, but only the 2nd win in 5 fights for the former middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight champion. "I'm not going to go home and get out of shape," Jones promised. "I'm going to stay in shape, and whoever wants it, they can come on and get it." There ya go Joe.

No comments: