Tuesday, April 19, 2011

MMA Melee: Diaz IS Boxing, No Royce In Rio, Idiot Judging, & The DREAM Is Not Dead!



Holy crap Nick Diaz is becoming a professional boxer. The Stockton native has wanted this for a long time and does have the right to box once a year with his current Strikeforce/Showtime contract. Nick already signed to face Fernando Vargas but he cannot pass the medical test to compete and may retire. Now the Cesar Gracie camp is looking at Jeff Lacy (25-4-1) who has expressed interest in the fight. "Left Hook" weighs around 170 lbs. for his fights and at 33 years would prove a tough test for the MMA fighter making the odd switch.

Diaz has also said he might retire from MMA. “They don’t have anybody else for me to fight now. I’m better than all these guys they have. The guys they have ranked above me, I’m sure they don’t want to fight me. So, I don’t know, I don’t see much of a future in this sport for me, I honestly don’t. Especially if there’s not a whole shitload of money going on. I’m signed into some contract that I don’t know anything about. I don’t know anything about that shit, I got a manager. All I know is that my life’s a living hell, full of training, grueling exercise, training everyday, cater to everybody else and not worry about myself sort of thing.”

Now watch Dana White throw all kinds of money at Diaz to stop this madness. On a personal note, I'd love to watch Larry Merchant try and interview Nick :)

Despite his efforts to the contrary, Royce Gracie is not going to be fighting at UFC 134 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The UFC Hall of Fame inductee had mentioned he was in negotiations with Zuffa for a final MMA bout in his legendary career, but Dana White put the kibosh on that today according to MMAFighting.com. I never thought it was probable with Royce not competing in the last 4 years and being 44 years old. I love Royce but I also believe his time in the sport has passed and that spot on the card should be used for the guys with more relevance today. I will always revere the legend but it just doesn't make sense to see the guy fight anymore.

DREAM is not dead. Let me repeat, DREAM is not dead! Despite reports to the contrary, the new Pride FC is putting together a Bantemweight tournament. The tournament may feature Imanari, Atsushi, Tokoro, Osawa, Otsuka, and Maeda, and singles matches will also consist of Ishida vs. Hansen, Kikuno vs. Daisuke Nakamura, and Zaromskis vs. Nakahara. Also expected to compete on the card are Hayato Sakurai and Shinya Aoki versus the dreaded TBA. MMA legend Kazushi Sakuraba attended the press conference and said, “We are all working together, we are all going to try real hard, and we will make it. Everyone is full of energy and everyone will fight hard." I love the Japan unity in the face of the tragic earthquake and a rough time for MMA in the far east!

MMA judging is an atrocious joke these days and the trend continued at Bellator 41 when all 3 judges awarded the main event to Joe Warren instead of Marcos Galvao who deserved it. Everybody and their dog scored the bout 29-28 Galvao except for the 3 judges ringside who must have been blinded by the outdoor sun. Even more egregious, was judge Chuck Wolf who scored the bout across the board 30-27 for Warren which has people wondering if the fight was fixed for the Featherweight champion.

Chuck "The Idiot" Wolf actually tried to defend his absurd scoring with a lot of moronic statements but this one is my personal favorite.
"If Galvao isn't happy with the decision he should look in the mirror, not at the judges. He had 3 rounds to take Warren out if he really wanted to beat him -- he had 3 rounds to dominate Warren, as well as Warren had three rounds to dominate him," Wolfe said. "It's up to the fighter. ... Don't leave it in the hands of the judges, especially when it's a close fight."

Umm, it sounds like you are saying I'm a fool so you had better finish the fight so we don't screw it up. We have absolutely no clue how to do our jobs. And as far as Galvao not wanting it enough to finish, his face told me after your preposterous score was read how badly he wanted and deserved the fight. Mr. Wolf is everything that is wrong with MMA today. I implore everyone to email the International Sport Combat Federation who licensed this piece of shit at www.info@iscfmma.com

Anderson Silva's documentary called "Like Water" will debut next week in New York City’s Tribeca Film Festival. Directed by Pablo Croce, the movie shows the "Spider's" life up to the amazing title bout against Chael "The Cheating Liar" Sonnen at UFC 117.

Jens "Lil Evil" Pulver also has a documentary coming out called "Driven" by Warner Bros. will be available on cable and DVD July 1, 2011.

DK Publishing has announced that they will publish an official UFC Encyclopedia detailing the history of the organization, covering more than 300 fighters, champions, Hall of Famers, amazing color photos, biographies, statistics, and title history. The book won't be out until October 3rd of this year but add it to your X-Mas list today!

Finally, Mark Coleman is offering 2 pair of the gloves he wore at Pride FC 2000 Grand Prix for a mere $40,000. That's right, only $40,000. Most MMA collector sites sell autographed and "worn" gloves for $300 or $400. I realize that tournament turned the "Hammer's" career around, and it was an amazing run for the vet, but come on. Mark and Nick should get together to compare whose ideas are the craziest.

No comments: